Sunday, November 23, 2008

1...2...Buckle My Shoes

Ollie, at bedtime, pretending to be "Daddy." His hair is wet from his bath...and he's getting ready for storytime with the "Daddy sweatshirt" on. He REALLY wanted to sleep with the sweatshirt on...but he & I compromised by merely sleeping next to it. When I went in to check on him later, he was clutching it next to him. So cute. The next few nights, he insisted on going to sleep with the "Daddy blanket" covering him. He really does miss Daddy at night but likes to know that when he gets home from work he will "peek at him."

The three of us had an interesting conversation recently. While Ollie and I were waiting in the car for Daddy to come out of a store, we saw a giant raccoon cross the street. When Daddy came back to the car, Ollie excitedly said, "Daddy! A raccoon crossed the street! Ummm...animals eat raccoons." This floors me, as we don't eat animals in our house (both Ollie & I are vegetarians) and, as far as I can remember, we've never talked about how animals are considered food by other animals and some humans. So I ask him, "What do mean, Ollie?" He answers, "Ummm...sometimes foxes eat raccoons." Okay. That could be. "Where did you learn about that, Ollie?" asks Daddy. Totally ignoring the question, he continues..."and, usually frosties like to eat raccoons." ("Frosties" is the name he uses for snowmen.) Okay...I'm stumped. Maybe it's true. Maybe snowmen do eat raccoons. I guess I learned something! :)

My one year old is turning two next week! I'm not ready!!! My little guy is getting bigger and bigger every day. I look at this picture and video from July...and compare it to today...and he has changed so much. While I celebrate each of Ollie's new accomplishments, each one brings a bit of sadness, as well. Caring for a child--and watching them grow and change before your very eyes--is a constant reminder of just how little time we actually have with the people we love. Life goes so fast! I don't mean to be a downer...I'm just trying to soak up every little minute I have with this silly little boy. :)

My one year old at 19 months old (yes...i'm incredibly retrospective these days!).

Transcript: (watching the birdies on top of our apartment building) Flew away! See...more. (hearing the siren) Ambulance! Ollie has had a fascination with ambulances since he was quite young and can talk for a while, now, about how ambulances come to help people who need to go to the doctor, if they have boo-boos, or are sick or hurt. Hopefully, he will never need to see an ambulance for himself.

No comments: