Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Today was just lovely. Started off a little rough, however. We had to leave church early after an outburst by our oldest little boy. As we walked down the center aisle for communion, Ollie decided he didn't want to go up anymore and tried to run back. One of the ushers stopped him from bolting out the back door, and I told him that he most definitely did not need to participate in communion if he wasn't up for it today. I just needed him to hold my hand, or walk beside me, as I walked forward. I thought everything was resolved until after I had received the wafer and wine, at which point Ollie began sobbing and calling out, "But, I want one now! Go back, go back! I want one, too!" Poor little guy. I was almost ready to circle back around again...but I couldn't be sure the exact same scenario would play out again. Three has been a confusing emotional age for Ollie...where his moods and ideas change by the minute...and sometimes, it seems as if he has no idea what he really wants (or needs). (Not like adults are any different, really.) The rest of the day was very nice, with time spent on the beach and lots of cuddles all around. Ollie did have a tough time coming to term with the idea of Mother's Day, however...continually insisting that it was "Ollie's Day," instead.
*****
Indie has a new word/phrase. We are really tring to understand it...but having a tough time. It's "donut." Yes, part of me was excited that he might actually be talking about donuts, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Rather, it seems to be used as a general expression of discontent. Perhaps, he's trying to say, "don't" or "done it" or "doing it." Although, he's often reaching for something he wants when he says it. Just don't know...but it's really cute, and we hear it a lot!



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

LOVE the video. The boys and I just had a good giggle over Ollie's theatrics. Fantastic!